All 28 members of the USWNT filed a lawsuit against the U.S Soccer Federation for gender discrimination, which could escalate to class-action status.
With the Women's World Cup just three months away, the USWNT filed a gender discrimination lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation over pay equity and working conditions.
Back in 2016, five players that included Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, and Hope Solo filed a similar complaint against the federation, in which the players cited figures from the Men's team 2015 financial record, arguing that despite generating nearly $20 million more than the USMNT they got paid a quarter of what the men earned.
The lawsuit filed by all 28 members of the Women's National Team, is requested to get class-action status by Lloyd, Morgan and Megan Rapinoe. But to take their case to the federal court, according to the New York Times "effectively ends the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) complaint" reporting also that the U.S. players attempted a right-to-sue letter to said Commission last month.
According to court documents, all members of the USWNT accused the U.S. Soccer for years of "institutionalized gender discrimination, not just in matters of payment but also issues like medical treatment and transportation.
The players are demanding a grant that would provide for liquidated and punitive damages and all other appropriate welfare.
The U.S. Women's National team players association
The USWNTPA though is not part of the lawsuit, in a statement released on Friday said that they support the goal to close gaps between compensation and working conditions of the women of the National Team compared to the Men's National Team.
USWNTPA's statement on the Lloyd Morgan et. al v. USSF filing ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/wt7l8IYAAG— USWNTPA (@USWNTPlayers) March 8, 2019
"For its part, the USWNTPA will continue to seek improvements in pay and working conditions through the labor-management and collective bargaining processes."