Conmebol declines the invitation from the US Soccer Federation
The South American Federation rejected the invitation made by the United States to play a tournament in 2020 that will include both Conmebol and Concacaf.
There will be no Continental Cup at least not in 2020. Conmebol rejected the invitation of the US Soccer Federation to play a tournament next year.
Conmebol responded with two strong arguments, one being the fact that the championship is not approved by FIFA, adding that if it were to happen, it would prevent the completion of the Copa América held on the same year.
We view this opportunity positively as it is not intended to replace or substitute any future editions of the Concacaf Gold Cup and it complements our vision to continue providing opportunities for our Member Associations to play competitive football at the highest level.— Concacaf (@Concacaf) February 26, 2019
The US Soccer wants to organize a competition with both Conmebol and Concacaf for 2020, that will include a total of 16 teams. With an investment of around 200 million dollars, with a participation fee, with an extra payment for the number of points and guaranteed from quarterfinals onwards.
In his response, Alejandro Dominguez, Conmebol president restated that while they are refusing the US proposal, they maintain the invitation for the United States and Mexico to participate in the Copa America 2020. For this, the two North American Federations need to respond before March 11.
Te recomendamos en Estados Unidos
- Honduras ‘Bolillo’ Gómez: “Estoy asustado de dirigir a Honduras”
- MLS Se cumplen 19 años del gol del Pescadito Ruiz para el título de LA Galaxy
- MLB MLB: Dodgers al borde de la eliminación en la Serie de Campeonato de la Nacional
- Boxeo Oficial: Teófimo López peleará contra George Kambosos el 27 de noviembre
- ESTADOS UNIDOS ¿Por qué subirá el precio del gas en octubre y cuánto pagaré?
- CORONAVIRUS Vacuna coronavirus: ¿Puedo mezclarlas en la tercera dosis?